East Borneo, The Gate of Borneo

East Borneo or Kalimantan is a popular tourist destination in Indonesia, has the potential of culture and tourism that is not less interesting with other tourist destinations in Indonesia. Almost 90% of existing attractions provided by nature Kalimantan, and the other 10% is ​​non natural attractions made  to support tourism in this area.Availability of natural attractions such as the flora and fauna (forests, rivers, lakes, rapids and beaches) and also  culture and history, as well as packaged in ecotourism tour packages, making East Kalimantan as a tourist destination, and put its position on the segment
            The province of  East Kalimantan the gate to other destinations on Borneo  Island. Tourist can reach so many  destinations, such as the Dayak settlements in the hinterland along the big rivers. So if you make a visit to Borneo Island, you must visit East Kalimantan.
            The province of East Kalimantan occupies an area of 211,440 square kilometers. It’s the second-biggest province in Indonesia, after Irian Jaya. It has a population of more than 2 million, distributing over 1,080 villages, seven people per square kilometers. East Kalimantan province consist of  10 regencies and 4 cities; Paser Regency, North Penajam Paser Regency, (Penajam Paser Utara), Balikpapan City, West Kutai Regency, (Kutai Barat), Kutai Kartanegara Regency, Samarinda City, Bontang City, East Kutai Regency (Kutai Timur), Berau Regency, Malinau Regency, Bulungan Regency, Tana Tidung Regency, Tarakan City, Nunukan Regency.
            The average annual rainfalls is 1,642 mm in coastal regions, and 3,963 mms in the hinterland up to the northern parts of the province, bordering on Sarawak and Sabah in Malaysia Borneo.
            About 80 % of East Kalimantan consist of tropical rainforest, which cover an area of about 15.9 million hectares, consisting of nature and wildlife reserves and recreational forest ( 1.9 million hectares ); protected forest ( 3.6 million hectares ); limited production forest ( 4.8 million hectares ); production forest ( 5.5 million hectares ); and research and educational forest ( 18,000 hectares ). The acreage covered by convertible production forest is 5.1 million hectares.
            The forest of East Kalimantan contain a wealth of rare flora and fauna. The black orchid, Nephents amularia and rattan vines growing up to 200 meters long, grow in those forest. So do various species of valuable tropical hardwoods.
            Among the arrival species typical of Kalimantan, living in the forest are chimpanzees, bekantan, Mahakam fresh-water dolphin or pesut, and many birds.
            The cultural and artistic traditions of  the island’s indigenous Dayak population are still preserved in this region, especially in the hinterland of East Kalimantan. Sailing up the Mahakam river to the foot of the Muller mountains near the Malaysian border, one can still meet traditional Dayak settlements that seem to have been little touched by the advent of modernity.

No comments:

Post a Comment